Goong Norn Naow
(Deep-fried Prawns Wrapped with Spring Roll Wrappers)
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 5 grams coriander roots, finely chopped
- 5 grams Thai garlic, finely chopped
- 5 grams white peppercorns, ground
- 15 grams light soy sauce
- 8 prawns (20 grams each)
- 8 spring roll wrappers (5×5 inch)
- 30 grams all-purpose flour, dissolved in a little water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Plum sauce, to serve
“When deep-frying, the temperature of the oil should be
just right. To test, drop a small piece of spring roll wrapper
into the oil. If it gradually floats to the top and becomes golden,
the oil is ready. Fry the prawns until they are just golden
yellow (bubbles start to disappear) and drain well. If the food
stays in the oil too long, it becomes greasy.”
1. Prepare the marinade by pounding coriander
roots, garlic and pepper together until fine.
Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in light soy sauce.
2. Rinse and shell the prawns. Keep tails intact
but discard the sharp ends. Score across the bellies.
Toss the prawns gently with the marinade and keep
refrigerated for 10-15 minutes.
3. Place each prawn on one corner of a wrapper
and roll up tightly. Seal the edge with flour mixture.
4. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
Deep-fry the prawns in hot oil until golden yellow.
5.Arrange the prawns on a plate and serve with
Scoring the prawn across the belly keeps it straight when deep-frying.